- 4 x 175g/6oz lean flat iron steaks
- 1 medium red onion, peeled and finely sliced
- 1 x 227g can chopped tomatoes
- 15ml/1tbsp freshly chopped thyme leaves
- 10ml/2tsp good hot chilli sauce
- From the Store Cupboard
- :30ml/2tbsp rapeseed or olive oil
- 5ml/1tsp white sugar
- Salt and freshly milled black pepper
Heat half the oil in a large non-stick frying pan.
Place the steaks on a chopping board and season on both sides.
Add the steaks to the pan and cook according to your preference (Rare, 2 minutes on each side, Medium Rare, 3-4 minutes on each side, Medium, 5-7 minutes on each side). Transfer to a warm plate, cover with foil and leave to rest for 5-10 minutes.
Meanwhile, heat the remaining oil in in the same frying pan, add the onion and cook over a medium heat for 3-4 minutes or until soft.
Add the tomatoes, sugar, thyme and chilli sauce. Cook for 2-3 minutes. Season.
Serve the steaks with the sauce, sauté potatoes and seasonal vegetables.