Korean Beef Bibimbap
- 200g/7oz flat-iron or rump steak, thinly sliced
- 400g/14oz short grain or sushi rice, rinsed
- 15ml/1tbsp sesame oil
- 1 carrot, peeled and cut into julienne strips
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped or crushed
- 1 courgette, cut into julienne strips
- Salt and freshly milled black pepper
- 30ml/2tbsp soy sauce
- 1 x 100g/4oz pack baby spinach leaves
- 100g/4oz beansprouts, rinsed
- 4 eggs
- To serve
- :Thinly sliced spring onions
- Sesame seeds
- Korean chilli (Gochujang) paste or chilli paste of your choice
Bring 1L/1½pints water to boil in a large saucepan, reduce the heat, add the rice, cover and cook over a low heat for 15 minutes until cooked.
Meanwhile, heat 5ml/1tsp of the oil in a large non-stick frying pan or wok. Add the carrot, half the garlic and stir fry for 1 minute. Season, set side and keep warm.
Heat 5ml/1tsp of the oil in the same pan, add the courgettes and the remaining garlic. Stir-fry for a few minutes, season, set side and keep warm.
Heat the remaining oil in the same pan and stir-fry the beef for a few minutes. Remove from the heat and add the soy sauce.
Wilt the spinach in the same pan, remove from the heat and drizzle with a little sesame oil.
Divide the rice among bowls and arrange carrots, courgettes, beef, spinach and beansprouts. Top with a fried egg.
Garnish with spring onions and sesame seeds. Serve with the chilli paste.