Quick Beef Stroganoff
This classic beef stroganoff is super quick as it uses beef stir fry strips ,onions, mustard, mushrooms, stock and crème fraîche. A great midweek option served with chips.
- 450g/1lb lean sirloin or rump steaks cut into 5cm/2inch strips, or beef stir-fry strips
- 25g/1oz unsalted butter
- 1 small onion, peeled and sliced
- 225g/8oz mushrooms, wiped cleaned and sliced (we used chestnut)
- 30ml/2tbsp brandy
- 5ml/1tsp Dijon mustard
- 10ml/2tsp cornflour mixed with a little cold water to form a paste
- 100ml/3½ fl oz good, hot beef stock
- 150ml/¼pint crème fraîche
- Salt and freshly milled black pepper
- Dash Worcestershire sauce, optional
- 30ml/2tbsp freshly chopped flat-leaf parsley, to garnish
- Heat the butter in a large non-stick frying pan and cook the onions for 2-3 minutes until soft, but not coloured.
Add the mushrooms and brandy and cook for 3-4 minutes. Remove from the pan and set aside for later.
Increase the heat under the pan, add the beef strips and cook for 4-5 minutes until brown, stirring occasionally.
Return the mushrooms to the pan with the beef and add the mustard, cornflour mix, stock and crème fraîche. Bring to the boil, reduce the heat and simmer for 2-3 minutes. Add a dash of Worcestershire sauce if using.
Garnish with parsley and serve fries, rice or noodles and seasonal vegetables.